Friday, February 8, 2013

A New Winter Destination

Life in St George is awesome.  I came with very little expectations, simply hoping to climb some new problems and do some exploring but what I've discovered is a new winter home.  Moe's Valley is all most people think of regarding St George bouldering but it is just the tip of the iceberg.  The sandstone bouldering in this region is endless and the rock is of good/excellent quality (Moe's Valley is of lesser quality than other areas).  There are also no major access issues, a great local crew and a kindred spirit in local developer Isaac Caldierio.

I don't believe I'm overstating it when I say the only things keeping this region from being a proper winter destination is developmental work and spray.  During my brief time here I've done a good amount of running around and brushing and I wish we had more time.  Hammie and I were meant to stay a few more days but a small storm is pushing us toward Vegas for our last couple of climbing days before heading to NM and then Sweden.  I will certainly be coming back to St George and if I can have my way I'll be spending the next couple winters frolicking amongst the endless sandstone boulders.

 Those boulders are huge and they continue for miles.

 Isaac on one of the gems he established at a new area called Dalton Wash

 Just a few more boulders that need to be explored/cleaned

 One of the better problems I put up.  "Keep Me Out of the Mud" is techy on perfect rock. The sit start is still undone.

We never got around to trying this mega-project.  Amazing line on bullet rock.

No comments: