Saturday, December 22, 2012

Hueco Cranks

I've been down in the Tanks for  a couple weeks now and things are pretty good.  There are the constants that make this place special to me (friends, weather, rocks) but I never know season to season how psyched I'm going to be on the climbing.  Last year was pretty productive for me as I was in good shape and a fair number of projects went down.  This year I assumed it would be slim pickings as I'm not in the best shape but I've been scraping my way up some new problems and even ticked a couple old projects.  I've got roughly a week left and if my elbow doesn't flair up I might even manage a few more.

There is also a Swedish invasion in the Tanks this year.  My girls arrived recently and I've ran into several other Scandinavian comrades and there are more on the way.  Looks like I'm not the only one wise enough to leave the darkness.

Here are a few pictures from a West Mountain tour with a couple friends.

 Andrew cruising Disposable Heroes.  This is a classic Hueco highball that doesn't get that many ascents.  The lack of traffic is partly due to it being in the back country but has more to do with the height and the terrifying rock in your back.  


 Bryan on the Well-site Dyno.  According to the two spectators in the photo this is an easy tick if you know how to dyno.  I unfortunately do not. 

 Andrew on the Bathtub.  The giant "bathtub" feature is pretty cool and makes this a traverse that is actually worth climbing.  

Andrew sticking the first sloper on Scream.  This short power problem is no gimme and was the only problem of the day that bouted  Andrew. 

No comments: